I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and have had to re-install a few things so I figured I would post the instructions as I set them up. This is about setting up the extremely very valuable tool for every Flash developer that is Flash Tracer. But it CAN be a pain to setup with multiple versions scattered around the web, various instructions on different blogs, and quite often important tips buried in the comments of said blogs. Hopefully this can help you setup Flash Tracer without a lot of effort.
I am using Firefox 3.5.5, on Windows 7, with the Flash Player 10,0,32,18 debug installed.
In order for you to be able to see Flash Output (trace statements) from your browser you need to:
1. Download & install the debug version of the flash player from here.
2. Download & install Flash Tracer 2.3.1 from here.
3. Setup your mm.cfg file at C:\Users\[username] (you may need to create this file)
TraceOutPutFileName=C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\Logs\flashlog.txt ErrorReportingEnable=1 TraceOutputFileEnable=1 MaxWarnings=100
4. Edit the settings of FlashTracer by clicking the wrench icon
5. Click the browse button next to the ‘Select Output File’ prompt and navigate to this folder:
6. You will (probably) need to create the Logs folder and add an empty flashlog.txt file in this folder.
7. Close and re-open Firefox and you should be seeing trace statements from your websites that have them (as well as from other sites that didn’t take them out before publishing) 😉